Vata reflects the qualities of air. Its characteristics are light, cold, dry, rough, and energetic. It is balanced by sweet, sour and salty tastes.
Pitta reflects the qualities of fire. Its characteristics are hot, oily, liquid, sharp, and intense. It is balanced by sweet, bitter, and astringent tastes.
Kapha reflects the qualities of earth. Its characteristics are slow, dense, soft, smooth, and heavy. It is balanced by astringent, bitter and pungent tastes.
We are now in the Season of Water and Earth, This season has 2 phases, Late Winter/early spring, wet and cold and then, Spring, the time for cleansing and rejuvenation.
Kapha season Starts Feb 1 and goes to June 1.
This has been an interesting transition to say the least. The weather patterns are very intense and changeable, and probably will be moving forward.
The element of water and earth predominate this season and are responsible for the body’s structure, and provides the “glue” or cohesion that holds the cells together. When these elements are in balance our joints are lubricated, skin is moist, immune system and vitality are strong. The expressive emotions of love, calmness and forgiveness flow easily. When the elements of water and earth (Kapha) are out of balance it leads to emotions such as attachment, possessiveness, greed and depression. Physical symptoms: congestive disorders, excess mucus, sinus related problems (are you doing your nedi pot?), allergies, sluggishness, dull aches, water retention, weight gain, acceleration of arthritic conditions, especially osteoarthritis, fibrocystic changes, issues with taste/smell and digestive related problems if you don’t follow the rules.
All the elements (fire, water, air, earth and water) are part of our physiology. Most of us have a predominance of one element over the other which dictates our constitution, what conditions we are susceptible to, our weaknesses and strengths.
Since the attributes of earth and water are heavy, dense, liquid, dull, slimy, hard, and gross these characteristics predominate in the environment thus they can increase in the human constitution. We can offset this by making choices that are of opposite nature. Put away the ice cream, cheese in excess, heavy unctuous foods such as nut butters, duck, creamy sauces, and rich foods.
As we progress through spring break out the Juicer/Nutra bullit/Ninja get back into salads, and foods that are drier and lighter in nature. Break out the spices to enhance that digestive fire (Kapha churna by Maharishi) and Curries are great this season. Are bodies will want to excrete what we have held onto during the winter months which makes for a great time to do cleansing diets and foods, even fasting is great this season. Come in for your seasonal appointment to see what cleansing program or Drainage remedies will help you.
Bone Broth cleanses are restorative and great for detoxing.
Schedule some “In Light Wellness System” sessions with Platinum energy Foot baths. Putting it simply this is one of the safest combinations for lowering the burden of toxic accumulation, it regulates our systems and improves metabolism.
It is said in Ayurveda that one can get all one needs nutritionally by consuming all 6 tastes at each meal. The six tastes are sweet, salty, sour, bitter, pungent and astringent. But with each season there are 3 tastes that should dominate in each meal.
A number of factors can increase Kapha to the point of aggravation. One is simply eating too much cold, heavy, sweet foods. Get into a good exercise routine . AM or early Evening are the best times during this season.
Digestion can get compromised this time of year, so break out the ginger and/or digestive tea:
(equal combination of Cumin, Coriander and Fennel seeds. Add 1 heaping tsp per cup of water; bring to a boil, steep, strain then drink. Always make this up fresh).
Print out the Kapha pacifying diet, see below.
Dr. Linda recommends consuming an alkalizing soup rich with minerals. Having a cup of soup every morning eliminates acid and will help to improve adrenal function, which is essential to recovery. In addition Dr. Linda recommends eating Kitchari, a one pot, complete protein dish that is easy to digest. To balance your dosha, check out these recipes below.
Tastes to Favor:
Astringent – pomegranate seeds, beans
Pungent/Spicey – Ginger, Wasabi, curries, hot peppers, most Chutney’s, Fermented foods
Bitter – Bitter Mellon, Bitter greens such as Arugula, Watercress
Take equal amounts of all vegetables and cut them in small pieces. Cook vegetables for 15 – 20 min. Take them out of the water and add vegetarian broth to it. Never use meat broth or added salt. Add a raw egg yolk to liquid after it has cooled down to 85 – 105 degrees F (1/2 egg yolk per person per cup of soup. The soup should be consumed the same day or at the latest the next morning.You can also use a Nutribullet or similar appliance to make this.
1/4 cup yellow split mung beans (soak these overnight in pure water)
1/2 cup jasmine or basmati rice (wash before using) or use sprouted quinoa if rice does not agree with you.
2 tbs of ghee
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp celtic salt
1/2 tsp Hing (Asafoetida)
Melt the ghee in a pot. Add the mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to pop, the temperature is appropriate to add spices. Then add your beans and rice/quinoa. Coat the mixture in ghee and spices. Then add 4 - 6 cups of water or broth. You can add less broth/water if you want it thicker. You can also add powders instead of seeds/pods. Depending on the amount of water, add vegetables as desired. Bring the contents to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 1 hour until the beans are soft.
GERMAN CLEANSING DRINK
This old German remedy has been proven to be very helpful in treating atherosclerosis, cold and infections, high cholesterol and fatigue. By the way it is also very good in improving the immunity system and cleansing your liver.
For the preparation of this powerful drink you will need only four ingredients.
• 4 organic lemons along with the peel
• one ginger root (3-4 cm) or two tablespoons of grated ginger
• 4 large garlic heads • 2 liters of water
Method of Preparation:
2. Peel the garlic.
3. Put the lemons, ginger and garlic in a blender and blend until you get a nice texture.
4. Put the blend in a saucepan.
5. Pour the water over and stir until the mixture boils.
6. Then, turn off the heat and leave the mixture cool down.
7. Strain through a strainer and pour the liquid into a glass bottle.
Everyday 2 hours before meal drink one glass on empty stomach. Keep up with this procedure for 3 weeks. After that, make a pause of one week and then repeat the treatment for another 3 weeks. If you find out the taste is too strong add some honey.
After the first 3 weeks of the treatment you will feel how your body has significantly rejuvenated and recovered. This drink is extremely helpful in prevention of calcification in organism which is caused by the kidney stone formation and as well against vascular congestion.
BONE BROTH CLEANSES
Dr. Linda personalizes these broths and adds healthy smoothies to form a great restorative detox for patients. Come in to see what you test for.
HELPFUL HINTS AS THE SEASON PROGRESSES:
The practice of Seasonal cleansing is part of many cultures. We in this country need to pay heed to these practices more than ever. According to the most recent research we have more than 80,000 chemicals distributed in our foods, household products, environmental products, building materials and on and on of which we are exposed to daily. We also have a body that works very hard at maintaining itself and through that process alone we produce many by-products of metabolism.
Since we are always cleaning our homes, cars, offices, clothes etc we should also put as much if not more priority into internal cleansing.
Kapha is a beautiful season to facilitate this. Nature encourages this process, so if we follow the rules of the season we will do this naturally.
It seems every company is pushing some sort of Detox program. While some are very good others are really unnecessary and a waste of money.
1. Start the day with the Lemon, salt and Honey drink
2. Take a teaspoon of Cayenne and add it to 1 quart of your favorite juice. Sip on this all day.
3. Drink Alkalizing soup every day and follow the Kapha pacifying diet rules.
4. Eat a mono diet for at least 7 days. This is a great time to do Kichadee (split mung beans and rice). If cooked right this recipe allows the gut to heal and works with the body to Detox safely. Email me if you would like a copy of this recipe. Some may fast but this is not for everyone.
5. Use supportive herbs and herbal teas to facilitate detoxification: A couple of my favorite teas are: Detox Tea by Yogi and/or Dr. Stuart’s Liver Detox tea. And of course Dandelion Tea. Hoxsey formulas (call the office) and Essiac (Essiance Elixir code ESS10) are also great this season.
6. NutriBullet drinks and add some Liquid chlorophyll (code is SE525) to it. Also have some Wheat Grass on hand (code is OWG17 for 17 oz) and another favorite of mine is Green Superfood Detox & digest (code A04775). Using smoothies with a base of Hemp Milk and alkalized water is also great. Dr. Linda also adds things like Moranga, Seaweed, mushrooms, and Matcha to these
7. Support the bowels while detoxing: Luvos mineral earth powder (available from my office), Triphala, Blessed Herb colon cleanse with ginger (online), Psyllium if you don’t react negatively to it. These elements absorb a lot of the toxic material that is leaving the systemic body. If your bowels aren’t working well you can just end up re-absorbing these toxic elements. If you tend to be constipated you may need to do extra purgation to support the liver. Dandelion Soup, Root, or even DandyBlend Tea (online) is especially good for this. Colon HydroTherapy is also a great idea for this time of year.
8. InfraRed Sauna is also a great way to Detox. Platinum Energy foot baths are also great (these can be done in my office). Detox Foot pads by Global Healing center is the only foot pads I will recommend these days. And Chi-enterprises make an excellent Bath called “BATHDETOX” online at www.chi-health.com. This is only herbs, no clay which can clog the pipes. And you can also do them as foot baths.
9. Homeopathic Drainage – Hevert Detox kit (code HV4321) or Nestman drainage remedies (contact my office for more info).
10. Other daily practices: Super Nasya by the Ayurvedic Institute or call the office, a few drops in each nostril before the Nedi pot to clear any excess mucus.
11. Dry brush your skin before showering with a loofah pad or glove, towards the heart then use Kapha massage oil (code B33731) all over. Great way to exfoliate and stimulate lymphs.
The primary body systems that need support during a Detox are the Lymph, Kidney, Liver and bowels. Some of us may need additional support in these areas and other areas that tend to hold toxicity and this is why working with a professional is helpful. So come in for your Seasonal Check up to see how you can best facilitate your seasonal cleanse.
And of course the best of the best as far as Cleansing, Detox and Rejuvenation goes is Purva Karma/Pancha Karma done in the Stow office only. This process works globally addressing body, mind and spirit. Stow office only.
ALL PRODUCTS WITH CODES CAN BE BOUGHT AT WELLEVATE, SEE HOME PAGE.