Vata reflects the qualities of air. Its characteristics are light, cold, dry, rough, and energetic. It is balanced by sweet, sour and salty tastes.
Pitta reflects the qualities of fire. Its characteristics are hot, oily, liquid, sharp, and intense. It is balanced by sweet, bitter, and astringent tastes.
Kapha reflects the qualities of earth. Its characteristics are slow, dense, soft, smooth, and heavy. It is balanced by astringent, bitter and pungent tastes.
We are entering the Season of Fire. At least we are supposed to be.
Pitta or Fire season Starts after Memorial Day and goes to October 1.
This has been an interesting spring. The weather patterns are very intense and changeable, and probably will be moving forward.
Last week it felt like the dog days of August, hot and humid. Today it feels like early March, cold and rainy. Hope you all have an adaptable constitution living here in New England.
Fire season, also known as Pitta season starts to build by the end of May.
All the elements (fire, water, air, earth and water) are part of our physiology. Most of us have a predominance of one element over the other which dictates our constitution, what conditions we are susceptible to, our weaknesses and strengths.
As the Fire season builds externally we are all affected internally, especially those who have a fire predominance in their nature. So if you are one of those people who are bothered by heat then make sure you pay attention to the rules of the season.
Some of the symptoms that will prop up or get exasperated are: Burning sensations, all cases of inflammation (“itisis” are inflammatory disorders and are due to excess heat/Pitta), skin ailments such as acne, rashes etc, ulcerations, indigestion/heartburn, viral conditions, GI complaints such as diarrhea and colitis, and Liver complaints.
Emotions run high, anger, fiery tempers, criticism, jealousy, aggravation and envy.
Addictions can increase, fear of failure, never good enough are some of the conflicts one can see increase this time of year if one is out of balance.
When the element of Fire is in balance our ability to digest, metabolize, assimilate and transform food is good.
We have good energy, understanding, comprehension and drive. Our eyes are clear and vision is good.
We have a natural glow.
It is said in Ayurveda that one can get all one needs nutritionally by consuming all 6 tastes at each meal. The six tastes are sweet, salty, sour, bitter, pungent and astringent. But with each season there are 3 tastes that should dominate in each meal.
A number of factors can increase Pitta to the point of aggravation. One is simply eating too much pungent/spicy food, including black pepper, cayenne pepper, curry peppers, and jalapeno peppers. Pitta can also be increased by sour and citrus fruits, such as grapefruits and sour oranges. Eating rancid yogurt, smoking cigarettes, and drinking sour wine can also be harmful; Alcohol in general is fire increasing substance. Working near fire or lying in the sun increases the fire element of Pitta. Eating fatty fried food, or oily food such as peanut butter, can create nausea or headaches for the Pitta individual.
Dr. Linda recommends consuming an alkalizing soup rich with minerals. Having a cup of soup every morning eliminates acid and will help to improve adrenal function, which is essential to recovery. In addition Dr. Linda recommends eating Kitchari, a one pot, complete protein dish that is easy to digest. To balance your dosha, check out these recipes below.
Take equal amounts of all vegetables and cut them in small pieces. Cook vegetables for 15 – 20 min. Take them out of the water and add vegetarian broth to it. Never use meat broth or added salt. Add a raw egg yolk to liquid after it has cooled down to 85 – 105 degrees F (1/2 egg yolk per person per cup of soup. The soup should be consumed the same day or at the latest the next morning.You can also use a Nutribullet or similar appliance to make this.
1/4 cup yellow split mung beans (soak these overnight in pure water)
1/2 cup jasmine or basmati rice (wash before using) or use sprouted quinoa if rice does not agree with you.
2 tbs of ghee
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp celtic salt
1/2 tsp Hing (Asafoetida)
Melt the ghee in a pot. Add the mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to pop, the temperature is appropriate to add spices. Then add your beans and rice/quinoa. Coat the mixture in ghee and spices. Then add 4 - 6 cups of water or broth. You can add less broth/water if you want it thicker. You can also add powders instead of seeds/pods. Depending on the amount of water, add vegetables as desired. Bring the contents to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 1 hour until the beans are soft.
1. Start your day with warm water, 1 t lime juice, 1 t maple syrup and a pinch of Cayenne. Unless you are enjoying your lemon, salt and honey but this drink is more heating.
2. NutriBullet, Ninja, Vitamix drinks are great and add some Liquid chlorophyll (code is SE525) to it, 10 drops is all you need. Also have some Wheat Grass on hand (code is OWG17 for 17 oz). A great recipe for inflammation is: Swiss chard, Cucumber with skin, Chia seeds, Pineapple, Turmeric powder, Coconut water and Avocado.
3. If you suffer from indigestion or heartburn try Avipatikar powder after meals, ¼ teaspoon in warm water (get from my office).
4. If digestion is weak consider Pitta Digest from Banyan (code is DTGE9).
5. If you few you need help keeping the above mentioned symptoms at bay try Healthy Pitta by Banyan (code is B13212).
6. Continue or start with the Detox Kit by Hevert (code HV4231). This is an excellent kit to continue the support of detoxification and it is very safe.
7. Ghee (Purity Farms available at most health food stores) – Use this to cook with and try soaking your eyes in it. Get an eye cup from CVS, melt the ghee, test it against your cheek before putting it into your eye. It should be body temperature or cooler. Use fresh ghee in other eye. Soak eye with eyes open for at least 10 – 15 min. The lipid content of ghee is very close to the lipid ratios of the eye. Make sure you do this before bed. You can use Saline drops to rinse eye after you are done.
8. Olive oil is great for this season but as you all know most of what we have in this country is not the real thing. Check out “the Fresh-Pressed Olive oil Club” 888-963-4582. You will never buy your oil from the grocery store again.
9. Aloe Vera juice – This is great for adding to your smoothie and if you have any GI complaints drink a small amount after meals. I personally like the Aloe Ace product, it contains leaf, sap and rind and 1 four oz bottle makes a gallon of high quality juice (code is ALOEA).
10. Keep that bile flowing, chew on fennel seeds after meals or put a few drops of Bitter orange essential oil into warm water after meals (code is BIT11).
11. Bitter is better for us this season, for overall good digestion consider Bitter Sweet Elixir after meals (BIT12) or Dr. Shade’s Bitters (QSBITT01).
12. Consider some safe Heavy Metal Detox formulas during this season, Try Metal Flush by Chi Ent. Available through Amazon or ACZ Nano (code is RNA915). Mercury loves heat, it is a fire element thus it is attracted to fire.
13. Continue with tongue scraping and morning swish (oil pulling). Use coconut oil this season.
14. Breathing practices - Right nostril breathing increases fire and metabolism. Left nostril breathing decreases fire. When you feel overheated take a few moments and do some Left Nostril breathing.
15. Remember Pitta cannot be forced out of control without the help of Vata.
Keep on a schedule, be consistent with your meals, silence your mind and nurture yourselves.
Sickness is reality coming to live with you, which is why it is alright to get sick. Symptoms are our greatest source of information. Don’t suppress them, listen to them.
All products with codes after names can be purchased from Wellevate. If you List Dr. Linda as your Practitioner you will have full access to all products and get a 15% discount on all products. If you do not have an account give them a call first to set it up. 855-935-5382.