Vata reflects the qualities of air. Its characteristics are light, cold, dry, rough, and energetic. It is balanced by sweet, sour and salty tastes.
Pitta reflects the qualities of fire. Its characteristics are hot, oily, liquid, sharp, and intense. It is balanced by sweet, bitter, and astringent tastes.
Kapha reflects the qualities of earth. Its characteristics are slow, dense, soft, smooth, and heavy. It is balanced by astringent, bitter and pungent tastes.
We are entering the Season of Air and Ether, the Dry season known as VATA.
Vata season Starts October 1 and goes to Feb 1.
This has been an interesting transition to say the least. The weather patterns are very intense and changeable, and probably will be moving forward.
This season can bring great satisfaction and contentment from the richness of the harvest, physically, emotionally and spiritually. If you stay in tuned to the season it can bring more understanding, caring, security, stability, support and empathy. If one is not in tune to this transition it can bring anxiety, worry, selfishness, and increased complaining. One can become more judgmental, critical, fearful and bitter. What is stressing you?
All the elements (fire, water, air, earth and water) are part of our physiology. Most of us have a predominance of one element over the other which dictates our constitution, what conditions we are susceptible to, our weaknesses and strengths.
This season can be a tough transition especially for those over 50 or those with Chronic ailments. Conditions can accelerate.
Some of the physical symptoms can be many forms of digestive problems (gastritis, heartburn, nausea, inability to digest fully etc), The upper GI is governed by Vata as well as all digestive issues because the first phase of digestion which happens in the stomach dictates the rest of the process. Headaches, Allergies, fatigue, and disrupted sleep can also occur. From the Chinese perspective it is the season of Spleen/Stomach which means one could experience immune problems, reproductive problems. You may also experience old symptoms which means you are not adapting well to the seasonal change. This is also a season that our energy goes within, our bodies want to hold onto things instead of let go. It is all in preparation for the winter. So, intense Detox programs are contraindicated. Subtle programs like continual Polychromatic Light therapy and Foot baths (available in office) are encouraged to keep our bodies toxic burden low. Homeopath drainage, Adaptogenic and cleansing herbs are also recommended.
VATA is composed of Air and ether and is responsible of all energy and movement in the body. Air is electrical energy, which brings me to an interesting topic that is very significant in our culture:
European Research is emerging daily on the ill effects of EMF’s on our health. You won’t find much of that research coming out of our country because of the electronic and telecommunications industries financial interest. Sad reality.
Our body is a highly sophisticated electromagnetic system and it thrives on what is called a tri-dimensional EMF system, that of the Sun (solar, invisible light and UV) and the Earth (Schumann resonance). These systems synch with our Healthy Biological Rhythms. Our nervous system and our Heart run on electricity. Our Mitochondria and Liver enzymes are also driven by this system.
Man made EMF is a two dimensional system and emits a much stronger influence then natural EMF. This system interferes with the electrical system of our body and alters our biological systems thus affecting the heart, brain, endocrine, and mitochondria. Because it alters our biology it will also increase inflammation.
Symptoms related to EMF sensitivity:
Insomnia, anxiety, depression, brain fog, dizziness/vertigo, frequent illness, HPA axis dysfunction (which translates to Adrenal fatigue), Hormonal imbalance, increased cancer risk.
Several researchers also believe this is one of the reasons why pathogens are more virulent. Such as in the case of the new Lyme. Pathogens (bacteria, virus, fungus, parasites) thrive and mutate more rapidly under the influence of man-made EMF’s. Organisms are more resistant to traditional treatment.
What can help:
Minimize Wi Fi exposure, put devices on Airplane mode as much as possible, do not sleep near circuit breakers and above all eliminate electronics from your sleeping area.
IN OFFICE treatments:
Incorporate NanoVi treatments to reduce Oxidative stress from EMF (see Dr. Linda’s website for more info).
Incorporate PFG2Z Schumann programs with direct contact electrodes to your protocol (48 min).
ACMOS treatments (see u-tube under Patient Resources) which can also Test devices that are purchased to protect against EMF’s. Most don’t seem to work as well or as long as they used to.
Continual Polychromatic Light treatments with Foot baths to decrease our level of toxicity.
It is said in Ayurveda that one can get all one needs nutritionally by consuming all 6 tastes at each meal. The six tastes are sweet, salty, sour, bitter, pungent and astringent. But with each season there are 3 tastes that should dominate in each meal.
A number of factors can increase VATA to the point of aggravation. One is simply eating too much dry, raw, cold foods. This is a great time of year for soups and stews. Warm heavier foods, good essential fats. Sit and relax when eating and keep to a good schedule. Digestion can get compromised this time of year, so break out the ginger and/or digestive tea:
(equal combination of Cumin, Coriander and Fennel seeds. Add 1 heaping tsp per cup of water; bring to a boil, steep, strain then drink. Always make this up fresh).
Print out the Vata pacifying diet, see below.
Dr. Linda recommends consuming an alkalizing soup rich with minerals. Having a cup of soup every morning eliminates acid and will help to improve adrenal function, which is essential to recovery. In addition Dr. Linda recommends eating Kitchari, a one pot, complete protein dish that is easy to digest. To balance your dosha, check out these recipes below.
Take equal amounts of all vegetables and cut them in small pieces. Cook vegetables for 15 – 20 min. Take them out of the water and add vegetarian broth to it. Never use meat broth or added salt. Add a raw egg yolk to liquid after it has cooled down to 85 – 105 degrees F (1/2 egg yolk per person per cup of soup. The soup should be consumed the same day or at the latest the next morning.You can also use a Nutribullet or similar appliance to make this.
1/4 cup yellow split mung beans (soak these overnight in pure water)
1/2 cup jasmine or basmati rice (wash before using) or use sprouted quinoa if rice does not agree with you.
2 tbs of ghee
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp celtic salt
1/2 tsp Hing (Asafoetida)
Melt the ghee in a pot. Add the mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to pop, the temperature is appropriate to add spices. Then add your beans and rice/quinoa. Coat the mixture in ghee and spices. Then add 4 - 6 cups of water or broth. You can add less broth/water if you want it thicker. You can also add powders instead of seeds/pods. Depending on the amount of water, add vegetables as desired. Bring the contents to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 1 hour until the beans are soft.
OTHER HELPFUL HINTS:
1. Clean out those heating vents and radiators. Most heating systems stay dormant over the summer, so a lot of dust, mold, and dirt etc. accumulates. Then when you turn on the heat all the spores, dust etc. becomes mobile. This season Mold growth is beyond the norm.
2. Ozone machines are great for eliminating mold and many other airborne toxins but never use them when you are home or if you have pets that live inside. Turn the units on when you are at work but shut them off when you get home. Because they make particles airborne the lungs are susceptible so take head.
3. The lungs like warmth and moisture. So they can be affected by the cold and dry air of the season. One can be more prone to Asthma, bronchitis and pneumonia. It is important to eat foods that will moisten the organ. Sour is the taste that will encourage this. Fermented foods fall under this category. For the early winter cranberry sauce, pomegranate, and grapefruit are great. For early and late winter yams, sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, root vegetables (usually sweet and starchy) are great choices. As is soups and stews. Use warming spices like cinnamon, pepper, clove, mustard seeds, graham marsala, curries and plenty of ginger.
4. Always favor the foods for the season, Vata pacifying food list, you can download it below. Favor unctuous, warm, sweet, salty and sour foods (fermentation is great for this season).
5. This season is not a season to do rigorous cleansing and Detox programs but we are living in a time where toxicity is much higher then normal so come into the office and do Polychromatic light sessions and Foot baths as often as you can.
1. Quieting the mind through Meditation and Yoga is a profound Vata pacifying technique (mastering the Art of Being in the Moment). Another is consistency, and being on a schedule.
2. Tongue scraping is a must. They are easy to find and no, spoons don't work as well.
3. Start your day with a cup of lemon water with Grey Celtic salt (code SALT3) and local honey.
4. Daily skin brushing to exfoliate (in circular motion towards the heart) and transdermal application of oil before showering. Best oils for this season are Vata Pacifying Oil (code BY3355), Sesame oil (code SESA2) and Almond (code N7661). And of course my favorite is adding Mahanaryan oil to these (code MAHAN).
5. Use a few drops of Super Nasaya (available through the Ayurvedic Institute 800-863-7721 or contact my office) before doing your Nedi pot (code NASA4) daily.
6. Swishing, also referred to as Oil Pulling. Depending on what oil you choose, Sunflower, Sesame or Coconut, use 1 teaspoon - 1 tablespoon and swish for at least 15 min. Then spit it out, rinse with warm salted water or a natural mouth wash. Great for the mouth, gums and drawing toxins out of the Brain.
7. If you are traveling apply oil to your spine and feet to off set the Vata qualities of flying.
8. Have your massage therapist use oil when you get your massage and Stone massage is also great for this season.
Sickness is reality coming to live with you, which is why it is alright to get sick. Symptoms are our greatest source of information. Don’t suppress them, listen to them.
All products with codes after names can be purchased from Wellevate. If you List Dr. Linda as your Practitioner you will have full access to all products and get a 15% discount on all products. If you do not have an account give them a call first to set it up. 855-935-5382.