Vata reflects the qualities of air. Its characteristics are light, cold, dry, rough, and energetic. It is balanced by sweet, sour and salty tastes. Begins October 1 through Feb 1.
Pitta reflects the qualities of fire. Its characteristics are hot, oily, liquid, sharp, and intense. It is balanced by sweet, bitter, and astringent tastes. Begins June 1 through Oct 1.
Kapha reflects the qualities of earth. Its characteristics are slow, dense, soft, smooth, and heavy. It is balanced by astringent, bitter and pungent tastes. Begins Feb 1 - June 1.
KAPHA Season is from Feb 1 - June 1
Ayurvedic Medicine is based on the 5 elements: AIR, Ether (space), Fire, Water and Earth. These elements are forms of ENERGY. Everything is energy. We cannot have life without it. In order to stay in Balance we need to follow the rules of Nature. Our physiology is dictated to by these elements of Nature.
The Pro’s and con’s of the up and coming season KAPHA.
The element of water and earth predominate this season and are responsible for the body’s structure, and provides the “glue” or cohesion that holds the cells together. When these elements are in balance our joints are lubricated, skin is moist, immune system and vitality are strong. The expressive emotions of love, calmness and forgiveness flow easily. When the elements of water and earth (Kapha) are OUT of balance it leads to emotions such as attachment, possessiveness, greed and depression. Physical symptoms: congestive disorders, excess mucus, sinus related problems (are you doing your nedi pot?), allergies, sluggishness, dull aches, water retention, weight gain, acceleration of arthritic conditions, especially osteoarthritis, fibrocystic changes, issues with taste/smell and digestive related problems if you don’t follow the rules.
Keeping KAPHA Element in check:
It is said in Ayurveda that one can get all one needs nutritionally by consuming all 6 tastes at each meal. The six tastes are sweet, salty, sour, bitter, pungent and astringent. But with each season there are 3 tastes that should dominate in each meal.
A number of factors can increase the congestive affects of Kapha. One is simply eating too much sweet, heavy, dense food. Eating to late at night and drinking cold fluids especially with meals.
Digestion can get compromised this time of year, so break out the digestive tea:
(equal combination of Cumin, Coriander and Fennel seeds. Add 1 heaping tsp per cup of water; bring to a boil, steep, strain then drink. Always make this up fresh).
Support the liver - This is BIG, with 250,000 chemicals in our environment our liver is taxed on a regular basis. Dandelion Root tea is great for the lymph system and Liver and of course there are the Drainage remedies: Nestmann, Gemmotherapy- Juniperus, Rosemarinus, Traditional Ayurvedic - Kutki, Bhumy Amalaki, Amalaki, Guducci, OTHER: Milk Thistle, Bupleurum and Bitters.
Dr. Linda recommends consuming an alkalizing soup rich with minerals. Having a cup of soup every morning eliminates acid and will help to improve adrenal function, which is essential to recovery and decrease inflammation. In addition Dr. Linda recommends eating Kitchari, this is a complete protein dish that is easy to digest. To balance your dosha, check out recipes below.
Tastes to Favor:
Pungent - Spicey, Curries, Ginger, Wasabi, Cumin, hot peppers
Bitter - Green leafy Veggies, Gentian, Golden seal, Bitter elixirs.
Astringent - Beans, lentils, pomegranate.
Take equal amounts of all vegetables and cut them in small pieces. Cook vegetables for 15 – 20 min. Take them out of the water and add vegetarian broth to it. Never use meat broth or added salt. Add a raw egg yolk to liquid after it has cooled down to 85 – 105 degrees F (1/2 egg yolk per person per cup of soup. The soup should be consumed the same day or at the latest the next morning.You can also use a Nutribullet or similar appliance to make this.
1/4 cup yellow split mung beans (soak these overnight in pure water)
1/2 cup jasmine or basmati rice (wash before using) or use sprouted quinoa if rice does not agree with you.
2 tbs of ghee
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp celtic salt
1/2 tsp Hing (Asafoetida)
Melt the ghee in a pot. Add the mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to pop, the temperature is appropriate to add spices. Then add your beans and rice/quinoa. Coat the mixture in ghee and spices. Then add 4 - 6 cups of water or broth. You can add less broth/water if you want it thicker. You can also add powders instead of seeds/pods. Depending on the amount of water, add vegetables as desired. Bring the contents to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 1 hour until the beans are soft.
GERMAN CLEANSING DRINK
This old German remedy has been proven to be very helpful in treating atherosclerosis, cold and infections, high cholesterol and fatigue. By the way it is also very good in improving the immunity system and cleansing your liver.
For the preparation of this powerful drink you will need only four ingredients.
• 4 organic lemons along with the peel
• one ginger root (3-4 cm) or two tablespoons of grated ginger
• 4 large garlic heads • 2 liters of water
Method of Preparation:
2. Peel the garlic.
3. Put the lemons, ginger and garlic in a blender and blend until you get a nice texture.
4. Put the blend in a saucepan.
5. Pour the water over and stir until the mixture boils.
6. Then, turn off the heat and leave the mixture cool down.
7. Strain through a strainer and pour the liquid into a glass bottle.
Everyday 2 hours before meal drink one glass on empty stomach. Keep up with this procedure for 3 weeks. After that, make a pause of one week and then repeat the treatment for another 3 weeks. If you find out the taste is too strong add some honey.
After the first 3 weeks of the treatment you will feel how your body has significantly rejuvenated and recovered. This drink is extremely helpful in prevention of calcification in organism which is caused by the kidney stone formation and as well against vascular congestion.
THE ABASCAL WAY DIET by Kathy Abascal is an excellent diet to Quiet inflammation. Make sure you get the cook book with it, Available through www.TQIdiet.com and Amazon.
European Research is emerging daily on the ill effects of EMF’s on our health. You won’t find much of that research coming out of our country because of the electronic and telecommunications industries financial interest. Sad reality.
Our body is a highly sophisticated electromagnetic system and it thrives on what is called a tri-dimensional EMF system, that of the Sun (solar, invisible light and UV) and the Earth (Schumann resonance). These systems synch with our Healthy Biological Rhythms. Our nervous system and our Heart run on electricity. Our Mitochondria and Liver enzymes are also driven by this system.
Man made EMF is a two dimensional system and emits a much stronger influence then natural EMF. This system interferes with the electrical system of our body and alters our biological systems thus affecting the heart, brain, endocrine, and mitochondria. Because it alters our biology it will also increase inflammation.
Symptoms related to EMF sensitivity:
Insomnia, anxiety, depression, brain fog, dizziness/vertigo, frequent illness, HPA axis dysfunction (which translates to Adrenal fatigue), Hormonal imbalance, increased cancer risk.
Several researchers also believe this is one of the reasons why pathogens are more virulent. Such as in the case of the new Lyme. Pathogens (bacteria, virus, fungus, parasites) thrive and mutate more rapidly under the influence of man-made EMF’s. Organisms are more resistant to traditional treatment.
What can help:
Minimize Wi Fi exposure, put devices on Airplane mode as much as possible, do not sleep near circuit breakers and above all eliminate electronics from your sleeping area.
ENJOY THE SEASON
1. If the Lemon, salt and Honey drink seems too heating use 1/2 Lime, maple syrup and Cayanne.
2. Chew on Fennel seeds after meals
3. Drink Alkalizing soup every day and follow the Kapha pacifying diet rules.
4. Eat a mono diet for at least 7 days. This is a great time to do Kichadee (split mung beans and rice). If cooked right this recipe allows the gut to heal and works with the body to Detox safely. Recipe above. Some may fast but this is not for everyone.
The Abascal way is a great diet for this up and coming season. Available through www.TQIDIET.com
5. Use supportive herbs and herbal teas to facilitate rejuvenation and help you adapt to this seasonal change: Adaptogens - Ashwaghanda, Holy Basil, Haritaki and many others. Then switch over to more digestive supportive herbs especially Bitters after meals.
6. Bone Broth Cleanse, I personalize this based on ones needs.
7. Support the bowels while detoxing: Luvos mineral earth powder (available from my office), Triphala, Blessed Herb colon cleanse with ginger (online), These elements absorb a lot of the toxic material that is leaving the systemic body. If your bowels aren’t working well you can just end up re-absorbing these toxic elements. If you tend to be constipated you may need to do extra purgation to support the liver. Dandelion Soup, Root, or even DandyBlend Tea (online) is especially good for this. Colon HydroTherapy is also a great idea for this time of year. Triphala and or Flax seed meal in applesauce or warm water twice a day.
8. InfraRed Sauna is also a great way to Detox this season. Platinum Energy foot baths are also great (these can be done in my office). Detox Foot pads by Global Healing center is the only foot pads I will recommend these days. And Chi-enterprises make an excellent Bath called “BATHDETOX” online at www.chi-health.com. This is only herbs, no clay which can clog the pipes. And you can also do them as foot baths.
9. Homeopathic Drainage – Hevert Detox kit (code HV4321) or Nestman drainage remedies (contact my office for more info), Gemmotherapy.
10. Other daily practices: Super Nasya by the Ayurvedic Institute or call the office, a few drops in each nostril before the Nedi pot to clear any excess mucus.
11. Dry brush your skin before showering with a loofah pad or glove, towards the heart then use Kapha massage oil or Mahanaryan from Banyan all over.
The primary body systems that need Drainage support on a continual basis are the Lymph, Kidney, Liver and bowels. Some of us may need additional support in these areas and other areas that tend to hold toxicity and this is why working with a professional is helpful. So come in for your Seasonal Check up to see how you can best facilitate Drainage.
And of course the best of the best as far as Cleansing, Detox and Rejuvenation goes is Purva Karma/Pancha Karma done in the Stow office only. This process works globally addressing body, mind and spirit. Stow office only.
ALL PRODUCTS WITH CODES CAN BE BOUGHT AT WELLEVATE, SEE HOME PAGE.