Vata reflects the qualities of air. Its characteristics are light, cold, dry, rough, and energetic. It is balanced by sweet, sour and salty tastes. Begins October 1 through Feb 1.
Pitta reflects the qualities of fire. Its characteristics are hot, oily, liquid, sharp, and intense. It is balanced by sweet, bitter, and astringent tastes. Begins June 1 through Oct 1.
Kapha reflects the qualities of earth. Its characteristics are slow, dense, soft, smooth, and heavy. It is balanced by astringent, bitter and pungent tastes. Begins Feb 1 - June 1.
KAPHA Season is from Feb 1 - June 1
Ayurvedic Medicine is based on the 5 elements: AIR, Ether (space), Fire, Water and Earth. These elements are forms of ENERGY. Everything is energy. We cannot have life without it. In order to stay in Balance we need to follow the rules of Nature. Our physiology is dictated to by these elements of Nature.
The Pro’s and con’s of the up and coming season KAPHA.
The element of water and earth predominate this season and are responsible for the body’s structure, and provides the “glue” or cohesion that holds the cells together. When these elements are in balance our joints are lubricated, skin is moist, immune system and vitality are strong. The expressive emotions of love, calmness and forgiveness flow easily. When the elements of water and earth (Kapha) are OUT of balance it leads to emotions such as attachment, possessiveness, greed and depression. Physical symptoms: congestive disorders, excess mucus, sinus related problems (are you doing your nedi pot?), allergies, sluggishness, dull aches, water retention, weight gain, acceleration of arthritic conditions, especially osteoarthritis, fibrocystic changes, issues with taste/smell and digestive related problems if you don’t follow the rules.
Keeping KAPHA Element in check:
It is said in Ayurveda that one can get all one needs nutritionally by consuming all 6 tastes at each meal. The six tastes are sweet, salty, sour, bitter, pungent and astringent. But with each season there are 3 tastes that should dominate in each meal.
A number of factors can increase the congestive affects of Kapha. One is simply eating too much sweet, heavy, dense food. Eating to late at night and drinking cold fluids especially with meals.
Digestion can get compromised this time of year, so break out the digestive tea:
(equal combination of Cumin, Coriander and Fennel seeds. Add 1 heaping tsp per cup of water; bring to a boil, steep, strain then drink. Always make this up fresh).
Support the liver - This is BIG, with 250,000 chemicals in our environment our liver is taxed on a regular basis. Dandelion Root tea is great for the lymph system and Liver and of course there are the Drainage remedies: Nestmann, Gemmotherapy- Juniperus, Rosemarinus, Traditional Ayurvedic - Kutki, Bhumy Amalaki, Amalaki, Guducci, OTHER: Milk Thistle, Bupleurum and Bitters.
Dr. Linda recommends consuming an alkalizing soup rich with minerals. Having a cup of soup every morning eliminates acid and will help to improve adrenal function, which is essential to recovery and decrease inflammation. In addition Dr. Linda recommends eating Kitchari, this is a complete protein dish that is easy to digest. To balance your dosha, check out recipes below.
Tastes to Favor:
Pungent - Spicey, Curries, Ginger, Wasabi, Cumin, hot peppers
Bitter - Green leafy Veggies, Gentian, Golden seal, Bitter elixirs.
Astringent - Beans, lentils, pomegranate.
Take equal amounts of all vegetables and cut them in small pieces. Cook vegetables for 15 – 20 min. Take them out of the water and add vegetarian broth to it. Never use meat broth or added salt. Add a raw egg yolk to liquid after it has cooled down to 85 – 105 degrees F (1/2 egg yolk per person per cup of soup. The soup should be consumed the same day or at the latest the next morning.You can also use a Nutribullet or similar appliance to make this.
1/4 cup yellow split mung beans (soak these overnight in pure water)
1/2 cup jasmine or basmati rice (wash before using) or use sprouted quinoa if rice does not agree with you.
2 tbs of ghee
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp celtic salt
1/2 tsp Hing (Asafoetida)
Melt the ghee in a pot. Add the mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to pop, the temperature is appropriate to add spices. Then add your beans and rice/quinoa. Coat the mixture in ghee and spices. Then add 4 - 6 cups of water or broth. You can add less broth/water if you want it thicker. You can also add powders instead of seeds/pods. Depending on the amount of water, add vegetables as desired. Bring the contents to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 1 hour until the beans are soft.
GERMAN CLEANSING DRINK
This old German remedy has been proven to be very helpful in treating atherosclerosis, cold and infections, high cholesterol and fatigue. By the way it is also very good in improving the immunity system and cleansing your liver.
For the preparation of this powerful drink you will need only four ingredients.
• 4 organic lemons along with the peel
• one ginger root (3-4 cm) or two tablespoons of grated ginger
• 4 large garlic heads • 2 liters of water
Method of Preparation:
2. Peel the garlic.
3. Put the lemons, ginger and garlic in a blender and blend until you get a nice texture.
4. Put the blend in a saucepan.
5. Pour the water over and stir until the mixture boils.
6. Then, turn off the heat and leave the mixture cool down.
7. Strain through a strainer and pour the liquid into a glass bottle.
Everyday 2 hours before meal drink one glass on empty stomach. Keep up with this procedure for 3 weeks. After that, make a pause of one week and then repeat the treatment for another 3 weeks. If you find out the taste is too strong add some honey.
After the first 3 weeks of the treatment you will feel how your body has significantly rejuvenated and recovered. This drink is extremely helpful in prevention of calcification in organism which is caused by the kidney stone formation and as well against vascular congestion.
THE ABASCAL WAY DIET by Kathy Abascal is an excellent diet to Quiet inflammation. Make sure you get the cook book with it, Available through www.TQIdiet.com and Amazon.
The topic of the Season and around the world. So I will shed some light from my perspective on this issue as short and as sweet as I can, and a few of the things I am doing to protect myself, patients and family. I could write pages on this subject but I will keep it as short as possible.
As you may remember several months ago I wrote about the studies out of France concering EMF pollution (these studies actually came out a few years ago). These studies showed the potential of more and more resistant and aggressive strains of Bacteria, Fungus and Virus becoming more prevalent across the planet.
In a recent Article by Tom Cowen MD “CoronaVirus - Could This Outbreak Be Connected to 5G?”
This article refers to the works of Martin Pall, PhD “EMF health effects, How EMF impacts the cells of our bodies via VGCC activation etc (see online youtube) and the book “THE INVISIBLE RAINBOW” by Arthur Firstenberg. This article is only a brief look at what these two pioneers are telling us.
Here is a exert from this article:
“Some interesting facts he writes about: every instance of "influenza" epidemic in our modern era was associated with a radical change in the electrification of the earth immediately before the outbreak. One of the most studied of these pandemics was the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic, which killed millions of people around the globe. The Spanish influenza pandemic actually started not in Spain but in the U.S. in early 1918. It was particularly associated with Naval bases and installations that were the first to install high-intensity radar.”
If you would like a copy of this article email me and I will send it your way firstname.lastname@example.org. And thank-you MaryAnn for bringing it to our attention.
So, what can we do about it? Well First minimize your exposure to EMF’s. And here are a few other things to have up your sleeve.
1. Natural Sanitizers: Lemon or lime slices will work, hydrogen peroxide and malt vinegar, and bleach to spray/wipe surfaces at home.
2. 3M 95 face masks. Any orifice is open to the virus, so eye protection is important too.
3. Use paper towels or sleeves to open doors and to touch surfaces in public areas.
4. OZONE devices: There are several units powered by safe and legal amounts of Ozone (.04 ppm). These levels of Ozone will also convert Volitile Organic Compounds to substances that we can safely breathe. Ozone kills mold, mildew, bacteria and VIRUS. If your unit is stronger than this use it when no-one is home or in the office. And should not be used when pets are present also. You can also get these safe units for Car, travel, small rooms.
5. For Plane travel purchase a Personal Air purifier. Several are still available on line. Face masks, eye protection, essential oils such as On Guard by doTerra (my Assistant Nancy is a distributor of this) or Thieves by Young Living (Janey Rainy 508-237-9847 is a distributor).
6. Diffuser’s using either of the above 2 mentioned Essential oils are important for Office, and Home use. They even have diffusers for cars. Wellevate has several variations of Diffusers.
INTERNAL REMEDIES TO SUPPORT OUR SYSTEMS.
1. Adaptogens – These are naturally occurring substances that do NOT aim to stimulate or suppress bodily functions, but rather restore the body’s own ability to self-regulate and self-manage. We are under very stressful times, STRESS being the primary cause of disease, The most valuable asset we can have it to improve the body’s ability to adapt, in other words “Open regulation” as opposed to being in a continual state of Fight and Flight which is Blocked Regulation. Here are some of the best Adaptogens. Read about them, find one you resonate with and have it everyday:
Ashwagandha, Holy Basil/Tulsi, Rhodiola, Astragalus, Rose hips, Reishi, Siberian Ginseng.
2. For Prevention I still encourage all to take Guna-Flu (code FLU) or Muco Coccinum (MUCO3) once a week. If you have sudden onset of Flu symptoms you would take a dose 3 times a day for 3 days max of either of these.
3. Acer Campestre (code ACERC) – this is a Gemmotherapy item from Belgium which will stop viruses in its track. An acute dosage would be 1 teaspoon 3 times a day for no more then 10 days.
4. FEVER – a basic fever is an expression of the immune system working at its best. Do not try to suppress it. We actually use a remedy called UNDA 15 (code UND15), 5 drops directly under tongue 3-6 x a day to optimize the natural process of defense by making the fever more efficient because a fever is helpful for the conservation of the immune system.
5. Eat for the SEASON, follow the rules of the season. Do your Drainage remedies consistently.
P3PRO sessions: We now have the Frequencies from Europe for the CoronaVirus. We run this several times a week in Stow. Come in and do sessions whenever you feel that you have been exposed, after traveling, and if you feel symptoms coming on etc.
My Assistant Nancy on Cape Cod (774-994-3277) also has them within her P3V3 device and does regular sessions.
There are so many other herbs, homeopathics, Alchemical preparations, and nutrients available to deal with physiological imbalances that would make us more susceptible to this FLU. These remedies are Chosen individually: based on organ weakness, constitutional weakness, predispositions etc. Come in for your seasonal check up to find out how you can support your own needs.
If you own the Polychromatic lights do the program for Virus if you feel you have been exposed or for prevention.
1. If the Lemon, salt and Honey drink seems too heating use 1/2 Lime, maple syrup and Cayanne.
2. Chew on Fennel seeds after meals
3. Drink Alkalizing soup every day and follow the Kapha pacifying diet rules.
4. Eat a mono diet for at least 7 days. This is a great time to do Kichadee (split mung beans and rice). If cooked right this recipe allows the gut to heal and works with the body to Detox safely. Recipe above. Some may fast but this is not for everyone.
The Abascal way is a great diet for this up and coming season. Available through www.TQIDIET.com
5. Use supportive herbs and herbal teas to facilitate rejuvenation and help you adapt to this seasonal change: Adaptogens - Ashwaghanda, Holy Basil, Haritaki and many others. Then switch over to more digestive supportive herbs especially Bitters after meals.
6. Bone Broth Cleanse, I personalize this based on ones needs.
7. Support the bowels while detoxing: Luvos mineral earth powder (available from my office), Triphala, Blessed Herb colon cleanse with ginger (online), These elements absorb a lot of the toxic material that is leaving the systemic body. If your bowels aren’t working well you can just end up re-absorbing these toxic elements. If you tend to be constipated you may need to do extra purgation to support the liver. Dandelion Soup, Root, or even DandyBlend Tea (online) is especially good for this. Colon HydroTherapy is also a great idea for this time of year. Triphala and or Flax seed meal in applesauce or warm water twice a day.
8. InfraRed Sauna is also a great way to Detox this season. Platinum Energy foot baths are also great (these can be done in my office). Detox Foot pads by Global Healing center is the only foot pads I will recommend these days. And Chi-enterprises make an excellent Bath called “BATHDETOX” online at www.chi-health.com. This is only herbs, no clay which can clog the pipes. And you can also do them as foot baths.
9. Homeopathic Drainage – Hevert Detox kit (code HV4321) or Nestman drainage remedies (contact my office for more info), Gemmotherapy.
10. Other daily practices: Super Nasya by the Ayurvedic Institute or call the office, a few drops in each nostril before the Nedi pot to clear any excess mucus.
11. Dry brush your skin before showering with a loofah pad or glove, towards the heart then use Kapha massage oil or Mahanaryan from Banyan all over.
The primary body systems that need Drainage support on a continual basis are the Lymph, Kidney, Liver and bowels. Some of us may need additional support in these areas and other areas that tend to hold toxicity and this is why working with a professional is helpful. So come in for your Seasonal Check up to see how you can best facilitate Drainage.
And of course the best of the best as far as Cleansing, Detox and Rejuvenation goes is Purva Karma/Pancha Karma done in the Stow office only. This process works globally addressing body, mind and spirit. Stow office only.
ALL PRODUCTS WITH CODES CAN BE BOUGHT AT WELLEVATE, SEE HOME PAGE.